Six Welch: Coach
CrossFit Medical Doctor Level 1 (CF-MDL1)
1. What year did you start functional fitness style training? January of 2013
2. What made you start? I just had my second baby and needed to MOVE. I gained over 20 lbs and heard about this style of fitness through some friends. I was still doing cardio heavy exercising like running long distances but was at a plateau and quite frankly I was bored. I decided to drop in to a gym in Houston one day and never looked back.
4. What is your favorite movement? Kettle Bell Swings
5. What is your favorite cheat meal/snack? Chocolate chip cookie dough ice cream.
6. What is your ideal favorite workout? I enjoy light weight barbell movements with high reps and rowing.
7. What is your favorite superhero and why? The Incredible Hulk because I feel like that’s my alter ego around my kids ;)
I was born in Shanghai, China and grew up in Plano, TX. I did dancing growing up but never really participated in any sports because I am a nerd at heart. I studied Biomedical Science at Texas A&M and attended Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine followed by UTMB Galveston for residency in internal medicine. I have a part time direct primary care practice in Marble Falls, TX. I am married to a fellow physician who is a gastroenterologist who is also a gym member and we have 3 beautiful children. I see a lot of patients who struggle with diet and weight loss along with all the other medical complications that come with obesity such as high blood pressure, diabetes, heart disease, etc. Instead of pushing medications on them, I am a firm believer in life style modifcations that are sustainable and I feel like functional fitness is definitely one of them. I like to incorporate fitness into my medical plan and what better way is there to show that than being a coach?! Also with my medical background in anatomy and physiology, I can help with modifications for certain athletes who have injuries or are not able to complete certain movements due to other health limitations. I am so excited to be apart of this amazing group of coaches and athletes who I also consider to be great friends!